The Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union invite applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month.
In case the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate should provide evidence of financial support from the host institution to cover the living expenses beyond the first month.
The program is designed for post doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by fund IMU – CDC receives from the Abel Board.
1. hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
2. be based in a developing country at the time of application
3. hold a position in a university/ research institution
4. be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
4. 1) not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
4. 2) be under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
Therefore for the application deadline of April 30, 2017, applicants should be born ON or AFTER April 30, 1977.
The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern (applicants who wish to apply for the April 30, 2017 deadline should be born on or after August, 31, 1974). This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern donde se compra viagra.
Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Definition of “Developing Country”
CDC classifies Developing Countries as those with GNI per capita in USD, not exceeding USD 11,000, in accordance with the United Nations data. (Data as of December 2015)
For a list which countries can apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program, please go here: CDC DEVELOPING COUNTRY LIST
Applications must be received at least four months before the desired starting date. The selection committee will review the applications and award fellowships every four months. The Result is announced on the Abel Visiting Scholar 2017 Recipients page.
The following deadlines apply:
- January 8, 2017 for research visits between April 1 and August 31, 2017 Results will be announced by February 15th on this website.
- April 30, 2017 for research visits between September 1 and December 31, 2017
- August 31, 2017 for research visits between January 1 and April 30, 2018.
If you application is not complete by the deadline, it cannot be considered for the evaluation round.
Please send your application at least one week in advance that we can check the application.
The application form can be found here.
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is administered by the Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union.
Please always send your application form cc to “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
Your application can only be considered if you sent by the date of the application deadline all required documents.
For full details click here